Breakfast is supposedly the most important meal of the day. But who has time to flip granola wheat pancakes before work in addition to showering, 30-minutes of primp time minimum, and snorting coffee fumes in between it all to become a human being before the day begins?
Many of us in this post-college, pre-kids phase of life are trying to start being somewhat responsible for our health and life balance, especially because it’s oh-so hot right now, but we’re not quite ready to sacrifice much needed Zzz’s to make it happen.
I have finally found a few healthy breakfasts that can keep me going without disturbing my hectic morning routine:
Fast and Pre-Planned: Organic Yogurt Parfait
An old favorite, the yogurt parfait is no new concept to most of us. But this is no high-fructose corn syrup, high-fat, mushy fruit fast-food solution to your morning hunger. It’s fresh. It’s natural. It’s delicious. It keeps you full. And it can be made before bed at night for a grab-and-go, eat-at-work breakfast.
- Fill a lid-clad container about 1/3 with plain, nonfat organic yogurt.
- Add 1/4 cup blueberries (or any berries) and 1/4 cup strawberries, organic and fresh for maximum nutrition!
- Seal up and throw in the fridge.
- In your sleepy morning daze, add some organic honey-oat granola to the top (I like Cascadian Farms) and head out the door.
(This step unfortunately must be done in the AM due to mush-tendencies)
- Don’t forget a spoon!
- Super-efficient tip: Make 5 of these on Sunday night and spend the time you saved on your weeknights enjoying some wine instead.
Kinda Fast: Cinnamon Oat Cereal with Fruit
If you have 10 minutes to sit and have a quick bite before you race out the door, this is a simple but value-added breakfast. The cinnamon on the cereal boosts your immunity and keeps your blood sugar even, the oats lower your cholesterol and give you the whole-grain energy you need to keep going all day, and the fruit is of course full of vitamins and/or antioxidants depending on which you pick. Add some skim milk and you’re fortified for the day!
- 1 cup of cinnamon oat cereal (Kashi has a good one in the fall. General Mills also makes a high-fiber cinnamon oat cereal that’s delicious.)
- 1/3 cup of blueberries or banana slices
- 1/2 cup organic skim milk (avoid the extra hormones, take in the added vitamins!)
- Super-efficient tip: Cereal boxes can be a pain, and most of us keep them on top of the fridge almost out of reach — talk about a bad morning waiting to happen! Keep your cereal in a sealed ingredient jar on your counter like you would flour or coffee, with a handy 1-cup scoop, for easy access!
Supersonic: High-Fiber Granola Bar and a Banana
Ok, this one needs no explanation.
- Grab some Kashi granola bars or your grocery store brand (Target has a yummy apple streusel flavor! It’s not organic but it’s mostly natural, full of fiber to keep you full, and naturally delicious).
- Grab a banana, the world’s easiest fruit to eat on the go (it also helps ease any workout cramps you might be having if you were really ambitious the day before)
- Head out!
- Super-efficient tip: Stash granola bars in your office drawer for those running-late mornings and mid-morning hunger fits!
Get healthy, stay full and get to work on time yuppies!