Even though my husband’s family is really just as German and various other ethnicities as they are Irish at this point in the American melting pot, my sense of St. Patrick’s Day pride still increased when I became an O’Neill two years ago. This year I wore green for two days before the actual holiday, brought in stickers for my co-workers and tried this amazing Irish cream cupcake recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. Tomorrow I plan to hit up several street parties throughout the day and observe the nuttiness.
- I opted for wheat flour to add a little more nutrition
- Substituted sour skim milk for buttermilk (I always keep a “NOT FOR DRINKING!” sour milk in the fridge just for such an occasion)
- Made the Irish cream frosting buttercream by adding butter and heavy cream to taste
- Dyed frosting green, o’ course
- Omitted ganache frosting since I was low on time
They turned out absolutely delicious – so moist and flavorful! Everyone at work loved the half chocolate, half vanilla cake, too. I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone looking for a festive dessert this weekend. My only word of advice – don’t be impatient like me and try to take the cupcakes out of the mold before they’ve cooled. Some of mine looked a bit half-eaten before they were even iced – but of course I used this as an excuse to eat those myself.
May the luck o’ the Irish be with you tomorrow and always!